A NIGERIAN HIGH SCHOOL OPERA MAKING.



I am currently teaching Literature in English on part time in a high school right here in Nigeria. I was brought in by the Proprietress to teach those guys after their previous literature teacher left.  The guys are just seven in number; there are only two boys among them.

Somehow, we bonded the first time I started class with them.

Though we have had our challenges and disagreements, yet I think I am getting to like them. I like them because they have oceans of untapped talents and their creativity- if they are properly guided- is limitless. There were times that I would teach them something in class and I would ask them to do their own and they won’t just do it, they would do it beyond my expectation. Very soon, I will put up some o the poems that these guys have been able to write for your reading pleasure.

Last class I had with them, I thought them the types of drama and told them to start preparing for acting an opera which would be staged in front of the whole school at the end of the term. Normally, I was not expecting them to have even start rehearsal but before I got to class today, these guys have already acted a scene and sent it to me on WhatsApp.

I couldn’t stop laughing while I was watching the video. It was just a scene but I loved what I saw. Though the camera was not clear and the background noise was not filtered, yet I could see the potentials in these guys and I am sure that if they keep up trying, in a few years’ time, they would be rocking the literary world.

They said the story line is about a student who engaged in examination malpractice and how he ended. Though I told them that the story-line is too ordinary and too common, that I expected something out of the ordinary, something different and amazing, yet I cannot but appreciate the time and the effort they put into the video. Below is the video, watch and enjoy. I promise you that once they have the full video, I’ll put it up too for your pleasure!


Comments

  1. Wow, well done guys. Can't wait to see the full video!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Add your comment!

Popular Posts This Month.

GRAMMATICAL NAMES AND FUNCTIONS

HOW TO ANSWER SUMMARY QUESTIONS CORRECTLY.

Why Are Degree Holders Poor?