ANGEL OF HOPE PART 3

GONE.
Its been six months since we packed to our rooms. Mums condition grew worse but weve all come to learn to live with it. She seldom eat. Most times I have to spoon-feed her to prevent her from starving to death. Whatever was bothering her, she didnt tell us. She kept to herself and talked to no one. During the 6 months, I sat for another exam and I made the remaining papers but since Ive assumed the position of the family bread winner and manager, I couldnt dream of pursuing higher education until my mother comes back to her former self and take the family burden off my young shoulders.
One fateful Tuesday morning, we got up as usual and began preparing for school and work place when Elizabeth rushed in screaming incoherently. At first, we all ignored her because she used to overact sometimes. But we started paying attention when we continued hearing mummy in her cries.
Lizzy, whats wrong? I asked finally, irritated that I have to spend a couple of minutes out of my limited time listening to her nonsensical gibbering.
Mum She cried. I left her and rushed into the bedroom where mum and the girls were sleeping, Reuben and I were sleeping in the living room. When I got into her room, mum was rolling on the floor, holding her head in painful gasps. Blood was already trickling down her nostrils.
We rushed her to the nearby hospital. After that, I shooed my sibs to school with pleading and a little bit of force. When they have gone, I sat patiently at the reception, expecting the doctor to come and tell me what Id been dreading for months. I thought hard and long about it. Though I didnt want it to, but what if mum dies and leave me to assume the role of parents to my sibs? Suppose it happens, what will I do? If it happens, that would be the end  of my academic career. I didnt know when I slept off on the chair at the hospitals reception.
Hey Youngman, wake up The doctor said and I opened my eyes. So Ive been dreaming all along? The dream was ok. In it my mum got well and was hired back at work. We got our house back, blah, blah, blah I sprang up quickly.
Doc, thank you! Shes okay now right? I asked excitedly but he shook his head.
Im sorry. Your mother didnt help us. She simply surrendered and didnt fight her illness. She is gone.
I wanted to cry, maybe scream or roared or tear something or someone to pieces to expend the burning pain I felt within but I felt numb and lifeless so that I couldnt move. I felt dizzy and almost fall down before the doctor grabbed me and sat me down gently on the chair. So this is it? This is the beginning of the end for us? How are we ever going to survive?
The rain has been falling since midnight and it was still falling by the time we left the church with the casket. The ambulance driver seemed sad not because of our mums death  (because thats his profession and he was used to driving dead people anyway) but because of the bad- untarred road that led to the public cemetery. Twice he alighted  from the vehicle inside the pelting rain and seemed to be fixing something with one of the tires. All the while, my sibs and I were on the backseat of our Parish pastors rickety old car that looked as if it would fall to pieces if it goes a step further (but it has been looking that way since I was a small boy and it has not fallen to pieces yet).
We got to the cemetery a little bit later that it would have taken under normal circumstances. Revd. Jacobs (Our parish pastor) refused to use umbrella like the other mourners but he instead gave an offhand brilliant sermon that brought salty tears to our eyes and let them mingle with the chilling rain water.
What is the use of umbrella against the rain when some day we will be inside the ground six feet below with nothing but a piece of white cloth? Why do we waste so much time on this perishable flesh instead of preparing our souls for the journey to the eternity? he said and people began to cry loudly. I didnt know I was crying too till one of mums co-workers patted my back to comfort me.
Three months after mums death, weve been doing well. My sibs were doing well in school  and they were getting used to the fact that mummy that went into the sky like daddy did would never come back again. On the other hand, I was not doing so well at work because I was getting query everyday (especially at the law firm) for coming late. I knew I was wrong but I couldnt help it. No matter how early I woke up or how late I turned in for bed at night, Ill still be late. The firm then gave me warning for a week to change or my appointment would be terminated.
I didnt change because I had to take care of my sibs and make sure that they were well fed and properly gabbed for school before I leave them to go to work. Their water bottles must be filled with enough water and their coolers must contain  enough food to last them through the day. I was fired at the law firm. It didnt pain me so much because I still had another part time job. I began looking for another job in earnest.
One Sunday afternoon, we were in the living room, watching cartoon on the TV when Eliza busted into the room with a letter.
Hey M! She bellowed and beamed with one thousand watts smiles. My aunty said I should give you this letter she said and tossed the letter on my laps.
Elice, you are screaming for Gods sake! Reuben snapped angrily.
Why must you deafen everyone because you got just a letter he said  angrily. Both of them are always fighting each other even when mum was still alive and that hatred seemed to wax stronger  after her death. Ive tried many times to stop the enmity but both of them   seemed not ready to call a truce.
Thats enough both of you! I quickly said to stop Eliza from replying with a string of insults because I could see her brimming with anger. Whats the letter about? I believe its not  your school fees? I asked.
I dont know Eliza said. She was already watching the cartoon, snuggling closely up to Seyi. I diverted my attention back to the envelop. I tore it and brought out a letter that letter headed from their school. Ill skip the preliminaries and go straight to the point. The content of the letter was that my sibs were extra ordinarily brilliant. The three of them Seyi (Pry 6), Reuben (Pry 3) and Eliza (Nursery two)  were exceptional and because of that and the fact that they were always well behaved in the school, the school had decided to  help us by granting them full scholarship through their pry school education. I read the letter to their hearing and they were happier than I was.
That means we are free! Seyi said excitedly Now we can be buying fish.
God, not again! No Seyi I said quickly We cannot afford that luxury yet I said.
Why not? she asked angrily. You used to  say that we cant buy fish because of our school fees but now we dont pay anymore she shot back.
Its true Reuben supported We are not asking for turkey, chicken or even meat. Mike its just fish!
No Eliza said Fish smells, lets be taking egg
Shut up! Reuben and Seyi shouted at her and she began to cry. I pulled her close and consoled her.
Thats mean both of you I said sternly After all there is freedom of speech. She is one of us and like any of us and can express herself. As for the fish, Im sorry we cannot afford that luxury yet. There are textbooks that you all need and cant do without so we will use the school fees to get those books.
Both Seyi and Reuben began murmuring angrily and thats the part  I hated most. It used to make me mad. Stop it before I deal with you now! I shouted angrily and they both shut up because theyve experienced my anger before and it was not pleasant at all. When my anger had subsided, I said calmly Im sorry. You guys caused it and made me angry. Till God send another help, well continue to eat the same way we do. We havent died yet because we dont eat fish or meat or turkey or chicken or anything. So lets take it slow
Two months later, Seyi graduated from her school and was admitted at Community High School; the closest public secondary school to our house. Which means that Reuben and Eliza were left alone in the primary school and this is a real problem for us because from our house to the school, there were three roads they had to cross. Mum had chosen the school then because it was close to the Post Office so she used to pick them all up after closing but when she left us, Seyi assumed the role of getting them safely home. But now shed graduated and there was nobody  that will get them home anymore. I called them and explained my plans to them:
Since Seyi is no longer at Bright Destiny, both of you will be waiting for her. She will be coming to pick you up after school hours. Under no condition should you leave the school on your own unless you see her or me if its possible. Do you understand? I asked and they both nodded and said yes then I faced Seyi. You close by 2pm everyday and they close by 4:30pm. Which means that youll have ample time to relax before picking them up. Under no condition should you abandon them okay?
She managed to say a disgruntled yes. She didnt like the idea and I couldnt blame her because the distance from our house and her school takes over 40 minutes and adding that to the 50 minutes walk to Bright Destiny is leg-breaking. Seyi I know its hard but weve got to do it. Please just try and help me out here.
Okay she finally consented.
So far the plan had been going well until Seyis Maths teacher held them down after school closed one day without further notice. I didnt know neither was she expecting that too so when he made them wait for an impromptu after-school lesson, she said she began to  cry` and lament and tried to explain that her sibs would be waiting for her but the teacher didnt believe her after all, almost all of them were giving one excuse or the other so he thought that she was lying too so he forced her to wait.
When it was 6pm and Seyi didnt show up, Reuben (who was very hungry and frustrated) decided to leave. He knew the road back home well and could get home on his own. Besides, he wanted to show me that he was big enough to take care of himself and his sis. He took Eliza by the hand and they both left the school. They crossed two roads successfully but on the ever busy Oshodi-Apapa expressway, they waited for almost 30 minutes yet there was no chance to cross. They became restless and eventually they crossed when they thought that it was safe enough but it was not.
Just from the left, a commuter bus was speeding away to Oshodi when it had been fully loaded. The driver didnt see my sibs because he was fighting a verbal war with the passengers over their changes so he didnt see them when they crossed but he was on them right there in the middle of the road.
According to an eye witness who took them to hospital, Eliza was behind Reuben which means that she was the one that was to be crushed. Somehow Reuben saw the bus moments before it reached her and pushed her out of the way and managed to escape himself but he didnt succeed. The bus caught his right leg that was behind and crushed it. It all happened within seconds.
When I got home in the evening, I met Seyi in the room crying. She leapt up when she saw me Have you seen them? she demanded tearfully.
Who? Reuben and Eliza? I asked, my heart beating wildly in my chest. Seyi speak and stop crying! Where are  they?. Instead of answering, she continued to sob loudly.
I dont know. I went to their school after lesson but they were not there. The security man said they were playing at the school gate before they left without telling him. I ran quickly to the normal route that we used to take together but they were nowhere to be found. Michael my legs are paining me because I have been going there back and forth for six times or more now! Seyi cried. I became really scared. I know that something serious was wrong with them and that wherever they were then; all was not well with them.
Did you go there late? I asked.
Yes because our maths teacher forced us to stay back for extra lesson.
Extra lesson you fool! Does that stupid lesson worth the lives of your brother and sis you idiot?! Listen, should anything happen to them, Ill never forgive you and that your stupid teacher I said and stormed out.
I went back to their school immediately I left our apartment. It was already 9 o clock by the time I got there. The school gates were locked and nobody was near the place. Hello?! Good evening here! Hello can anybody hear me please?! Hell.
A plump woman in her pajamas walked to gates from inside the schools compound. Hello what do you want and why are you shouting that loud at this time of the day She asked angrily, I must have disturbed her from something very important and she looked unforgivably at me.
Good evening ma. Im Mike please my sibs have not arrived back home yet. She cuts in before I could say anything further..
As you can see, theres nobody here she said curtly.
Please wait! I begged Where is Mr. Adam, the security ma?
He is not around. Go back home now you may meet them at home but if you dont, then look for them in the morning She said and turned back to go again.
Is she crazy? Doesnt she understand that Im talking about human lives here, my sibs?.
One more thing please! I shouted again Please ask Mr. Adam if hed seen them.
Okay I will ask him when he comes back. Goodnight
We didnt sleep throughout the night. Both of us were awake and restless throughout the night. Some of our neighbours came to assure us that nothing bad would happen to them. Some of them advised us to report it to the police at the nearest station and we did. The police men were indifferent to our plight. They only looked unconcerned at us and scribbled some  useless jargons on a dirty sheet of paper he just picked up from the floor right in front of us. When he was done, with the nonsense and his morbid questions, he told us to pay N1500 for report and once they are able to get our sibs back, well balance up with the same amount. I paid him though I knew then that nothing would come out of it.
We must have fallen asleep on the sofa because early the following day, a loud bang on our rooms door woke us. I sprang to my feet, momentarily forgetting the events of the previous night but it all came rushing back with fearful velocity as I wiped my face with the back of my hand. Yes, who is there?  Seyi was already at the door before I could get there. She yanked the door open, expecting Reuben and Eliza to be standing there with the silly grins on their faces and shouting gotcha!  But they were not the one; it was a sad looking young man that was standing there Yes? Seyi asked.
Are you Michael? the young man asked me.
Yeah
Your brother and sister...
Where are they?! Seyi and I chorused impatiently.
They are in a hospital in Mushin. One of them was hit by a commuter bus yesterday  on their way back home from school
We followed the man to the hospital and I couldnt help crying as I was led into Reubens ward. Eliza was standing beside his bed holding his hand and crying. Reuben himself was in a sleep-like comma.
Are you his brother I spurned around and came face to face with a very nice looking doctor.
Yes sire I said with teary eyes and a shaky voice.
Good to finally find you. Your brother is in a serious condition now. We must amputate his right leg as soon as possible or else the infection may go beyond that
Seyi broke down into a heart wrenching cry. Her voice was so shrill, so loud that she had to be shooed away from the ward by the nurses. The doctor continued Are you ready now?
I said yes and signed the form. When I was done, I gave the form back to the doctor and. The fee is N30, 000 but given your condition pay just N10,000 and Ill subsidized it the doctor said generously. I felt like crying and hugging him but all I could say was a choked thank you
TWO WEEKS LATER, he was discharged after being pronounced OK but without half of his right leg. He now walked on crutches. Life never remained the same for all of us after then. Reubens tragedy made us all shed all of our childish innocence and happiness. We became mentally matured and even Eliza who was the youngest and who would probably be disturbing mum (had it been she was still alive) became sober and serious. The only good that came out of Reubens accident was that a strong feeling of affection brought us all together. The love was so strong to the extent that we all felt that any problem thats affecting any of us was actually affecting us all. I can’t just accurately describe the feeling with words. It was just simply too strong. 
My sibs returned back to their schools and I to my working place after a week at home. My employer was very kind. He didnt sack or deduct from my salary. He sympathized with me and even gave me some amount of money for our familys upkeep.
On the day we celebrated mums one years remembrance, we were penniless. During that year weve spent all the money we had left in the family account on books, drugs, school uniforms, second hand Christmas cloths and other miscellaneous things. Therefore that day, I woke up before my sibs and cooked the only things we had left at home: two cups of rice. To make sure that they had enough to eat, I didnt eat any of it. When I was done , I woke them up and they all got dressed for school. While they were eating, I decided to go through their books and check their performances (it has become a habit for me to check their books each morning and see their performances). All of them were performing excellently well and this encouraged me and strengthened my resolve to sacrifice all I could to help them. When I was done, I opened the floor of discussion for us to talk about the previous days events. Seyi spoke first. She told us about a new girl in her class who flirts with boys. We all condemned the girls actions in our family court and advised Seyi not to befriend such person. Eliza spoke next, she told us how shed won the schools spelling bee competition and that the school intended to give the winner a monetary gift.
And where is the prize? I asked eagerly.
The H.M said that when Seyi comes today to take us that she would give her the gift. She thought that I would lose it She said and we all laughed.







POPULAR POSTS FROM THIS BLOG.


1. HAUSA FULANI PRE-COLONIAL POLITICAL SYSTEM 

2. HISTORY OF VALENTINE.

3. REASONS WHY INEC POSTPONED 2019 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION.

4. EARN $50 OR MORE THIS WEEKEND  

5. NARA EKELE MO ,WHO IS THE TRUE OWNER?

6. ROBERT MUGABE, FORMER ZIMBABWE PRESIDENT. 

7. LATEST SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES. 

8. EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT JAMB 2019 

9.  THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY! 

10. HISTORY OF CHRISTMAS 


Comments

Popular Posts This Month.

GRAMMATICAL NAMES AND FUNCTIONS

HOW TO ANSWER SUMMARY QUESTIONS CORRECTLY.

Why Are Degree Holders Poor?